Saturday, March 8, 2014

Preemie Quiltlets

At quilt guild this month, it was brought to our attention that our local hospital needs little quilts to wrap the preemies in. They want the quilts to be 18" square and be backed with fleece. Since I back most of my baby quilts with fleece, this was an easy project I could help with. As I'm finding out, they are pretty quick to do, very cute and quite addicting.

I did 3 with printed fabric, added a little quilting, turned the fleece to the front, stitched it down and was done. 3 are made from a quilt block with a border added.  (You'll only see 5 in the photo because I made 2 using  of the pink cheater print. 

In addition to these, I have a few more ready to stitch together. Though thread wasn't addressed, I'm using cotton thread as I don't think it will be as abrasive to sensitive skin. For that reason, I'm using a minimum amount of quilting- just enough to hold top and bottom together. 

Planning the borders, cutting fabric and fleece plus adding a few pins to hold it together takes as long or longer than doing the sewing. 

These are fun to do and a good chance to pray for those babies who will be using them as well as for their families. I think these will help the families feel that that little baby bed is a little more like home as well as cuddling the little baby. 


No comments: