I had never tried this method, so got out some squares I already had cut and gave it a try. After pressing the pinwheels, I squared them up. Mine were trimmed to 5.5" squares which would be 5" finished.
The heartStrings group was having a sew along this week with everyone being encouraged to work as much as possible on making blocks and/ or quilts for charity. I chose to work on my pinwheel blocks this week. I got pinwheel blocks and solid or print squares cut and then stitched them all together and put the quilt top on top of a piece of fleece, ready for quilting.
This was a great project on which to try some machine quilting. It went okay except that I was challenged by the center of the blocks where all the seams came together. It went much better after I adjusted my quilting foot, allowing for more space between it and my quilt. Something else I learned was to check for lint in and around the bobbin case after I'd gone through a couple bobbins. Lint buildup is very detrimental to stitching.
So. I finished the quilt and it will go to quilt guild this next month for our baby quilt project.
With this quilt, I've reached my goal of making 12 charity baby quilts this year.