Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Sunshine & Shadow Heartstrings quilt

Today I finished this baby quilt, made from strings and strips that I brought home from quilt guild early this month. Rather than randomly stitching the strings, I put lights on one side of the center strip and darks on the other side. It made for a lovely setting.  This sunshine and shadow setting has long been done with log cabin blocks so this is not a new concept but I've not done a heartstrings quilt this way. I'll do this setting again!

This quilt has 20 rather than 24 heartstrings blocks and measures approx 36" x 45",  which is a better size for the baby quilt charity project my quilt guild does. Adding the extra row and perhaps a border would make a nice size quilt. I like this setting because it uses those light strips that are sometimes more difficult to use in a scrappy quilt.

The quilt is backed with a light blue fleece and is self bound with the fleece being turned to the top side and stitched down with a decorative stitch.

No comments: