Monday, March 9, 2015

On My Design Wall


Having seen a quilt made with this block, I thought it looked interesting and so I started it last fall. I had the majority of the 6" (finished size) string squares done but had only added the light  triangles to 4 squares, enough for 1 block. I was discouraged because the triangles weren't working. I hadn't adequately thought through the cutting process. Thankfully I'd only cut a few pieces because 1/2 of what I cut were backwards and wouldn't work. 

Over the weekend, I pulled out this project and gave it another try. For the triangle shapes I cut rectangles and then, before cutting the rectangles in half, I checked to see that all them were right side up then cut them on a diagonal, corner to corner. That worked!

I have now stitched together a few more string squares and have added the triangles to all the squares.  I'm ready to stitch everything together and will soon have a finished quilt top (baby size). 

1 comment:

LesQuilts said...

Hi Joyce! I would not worry about the stars spinning opposite! Just used them, alternate the blocks in your layout, or just spread them around if not enough to alternate. Will give interest to your quilt once it is done! Sometimes our brain makes us make intentional experiments!
Take care, Leslie