Saturday, May 30, 2015

Grand Illusion Mystery

Grand Illusion Miniature

Stars Around Grand Illusion

Last Decmeber and January, I was doing Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion Mystery. Having done several mysteries previously, I know that, though most of the time I'm pleased with the results, sometimes I don't care for the finished product. So before I began working on this one, I decided to make it smaller by cutting the pieces 1/2 scale and then I cut only 1/4 of the total piece count.

It all worked out fine until I got to the sashing and after putting the sashing around 4 blocks, it was too busy for my taste and preference. So a UFO (unfinished object) it became. 

This week, I tackled that UFO by finishing the 4 block piece I had done and then I had one more Grand Illusion block and 4 star blocks I must have made from partial blocks when I got frustrated with the project. Now what do I do?

I put sashing around the one block and decided to use the star blocks as corners. I then made some more star blocks from the fabrics I had left. (The star blocks went quickly by my using the no waste flying geese method.) Using these with the 4 corner blocks, I soon had stars all around the Grand Illusion block. This little quilt I named "Stars Around Grand Illusion". I added a border and got this little quilt finished.

 Now I have 2 completed, matching quilts which finished at approximately 20" square. They are labeled and have rod casings on the back so they are ready for hanging. IM pleased with both of the little quilts. It's nice to have them done. 


No comments: