Friday, April 8, 2016

Wounded Warrior Quilt


At a quilt guild meeting in February, a friend gave me a stack of old quilt blocks, all of them churn dash but not all the blocks were the same size.  She asked me to put them into a quilt for our Wounded Warrior Quilt project. My first task was to trim the blocks to usable sizes as most of them had frayed edges due to age, storage and probably lots of handling. Next was to add borders to the smaller blocks to make them the same as the larger ones. My quilt block presentation at guild last month was Job's Troubles. I decided to make these as my alternate block and I decided to use a mariner's compass block in the center of the quilt.  Some of this is perhaps old info for anyone who follows my blog because I wrote about it on February 6 and 7. 

The above photo is the completed quilt which I finished this week. The darker blocks at the bottom of the photo are not dark but show that way due to being in a shadow. This quilt measures 60" x 84". 

My husband and I both like this quilt really well. If I hadn't been given so many of the blocks for a specific purpose and planned this as a donation quilt from the very beginning, I'd probably keep it. Maybe there's an opportunity here to recreate it. Probably not as I have several quilts awaiting quilting and / or finishing. So I'll be happy with a photo and the knowledge that this quilt is going to a good cause and probably to someone who will be encouraged by it and be thankful to have it. I will make it a donation at my next quilt guild meeting. 

No comments: