Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hanging Cluny

  Learning new techniques not only provides a challenge and helps me add to what I can do with thread but it helps me once again realize and understand what new learners can feel and experience. No matter how much one wants to learn something, no matter what it is, it takes time, patience, practice and it is often frustrating, not always fun. Knowing that helps me be a better teacher/instructor.

All that said, this week's tatting class studied the hanging cluny. I have made lots of clunies but never a hanging cluny. We were using Ruth Perry's flower with split rings and hanging clunies to practice on. This is a very cute little flower and one I think I'll make often but those clunies were a challenge!  

Here's a photo of my first flower:

Not terrible or good. I understand the technique but it's obvious some practice would help. The clunies form the leaves and they leave much to be desired. I decided to make another one and it turned out much better. The leaves aren't the same size but they have a more uniform shape. See - practice (and concentration as well as patience) do help. On this one, I tatted over the thread tails which made a smoother, more defined stem. 

As often happens, I found myself wondering what I'd do with these or how I'd use them. This flower is a great use for a small amount of thread left on a shuttle after another project.  It could be a bookmark, tucked into a greeting card, attached to a package, appliquéd to fabric (now I'm thinking quilts) or put on a quilt label. That's a good number of uses and I'm sure I'll think of more. 

1 comment:

tatting-marie said...

Remember not all leaves are the same size on any flower stem or plant. I see a beautiful flower with leaves. Clunies are different and are fun to make when you master them. It takes practice - like anything else in life.