All that said, this week's tatting class studied the hanging cluny. I have made lots of clunies but never a hanging cluny. We were using Ruth Perry's flower with split rings and hanging clunies to practice on. This is a very cute little flower and one I think I'll make often but those clunies were a challenge!
Here's a photo of my first flower:
Not terrible or good. I understand the technique but it's obvious some practice would help. The clunies form the leaves and they leave much to be desired. I decided to make another one and it turned out much better. The leaves aren't the same size but they have a more uniform shape. See - practice (and concentration as well as patience) do help. On this one, I tatted over the thread tails which made a smoother, more defined stem.
As often happens, I found myself wondering what I'd do with these or how I'd use them. This flower is a great use for a small amount of thread left on a shuttle after another project. It could be a bookmark, tucked into a greeting card, attached to a package, appliquéd to fabric (now I'm thinking quilts) or put on a quilt label. That's a good number of uses and I'm sure I'll think of more.