Monday, July 7, 2014

Biggs Quilt block 6

I'm a little behind but have completed block 6 of the Biggs Quilt, this year's Just Takes 2 project. 
 Now, I'm ready to work on block 7, the  block posted for this month, July. 

I started stitching this block in my normal way but opted to use a ladder stitch part way through. What a difference it makes. My stitches are either invisible or very hard to see. Thanks to Ami Simms' book, Invisible Appliqué, for introducing me to this technique. I didn't mark both my background and appliqué fabrics. I did do backstitching and that helped me see where the stitch should be on both fabrics. It seems to take a little longer, at least for now. Maybe I'll get faster. The use of ladder stitch is worth it and a technique that I'll continue using. 

No comments: