Sunday, February 7, 2016

Old Quilt Blocks


At quilt guild this week, I was given a stack of quilt blocks with the suggestion that they'd be great in a quilt for wounded warriors. The blocks are all the same pattern but there were 2 sizes and, as is the case with lots of old blocks, the edges are quite frayed and uneven. So ...
What do I do?

After giving it some thought, my plan is to trim the blocks and add borders to make them like sizes. I think I can trim them to 8.5" and 7.5". The trimming will cut off points on these block designs (most of the points go to the edge with no room for seam allowances) but if I don't trim the blocks, the frayed edges will not hold the stitching. 

There are 23 of these blocks so I'm thinking that I can add some more done in blue and white/cream so they'll go well with these. Time to go to my bins of 15 and 2.5 inch strips looking for reds, blues, creams to use for bordering these blocks. 

There's potential here for a nice quilt and I'm willing to tackle this challenge. 

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I had the same problem. Put borders around them and then square them off. Worked really well. I used different antique looking blues. That way you don't cut off the points.