Sunday, June 2, 2013

Baby Quilts






Here are 2 baby quilts that I've made recently. The pink one is crumb blocks alternating with framed novelties. This quilt was given to a baby in my family. The blue and yellow and blue quilt was a packaged kit I picked up at quilt guild last month. The kit was from Quilts for Kids of Indiana. Our guild ordered several of these. I brought one home, cut the fabrics and then put it together. The kit contained three novelty fabrics (1 was the backing) and 1 plain fabric and the pattern was included with the kit (with the request that it be returned for use in another kit). I needed to provide the batting. I used a thin batting but the quilt was still heavier than most I make perhaps because all of the fabric was flannel (top and backing). I haven't worked much with flannel but after making this quilt, I think I'll stick with regular cottons. I needed to wash this donation quilt and after washing, I didn't care for the fuzzy look of the flannel. So I guess this project was a learning process for me. Regardless of my feelings about the fabric, this will be returned to the guild and then donated to the organization. It will be a cuddly comfort to a child with a serious illness.







No comments: