Friday, January 22, 2016

Bitty Kite Blocks


As I came to the end of the piecing of blocks for my Bitty Blocks Quilt, I thought that little kites would be cute. Not finding one in my pattern resources, I searched for one on the Internet. I found a cute kite quilt similar to the one I made but it had 4 kite ties and sashing between rows of kites. I only saw a picture so don't know what size that quilt was.  Though I wanted space between the kites, I didn't want sashing as I wanted to make a 12" block consisting of many little kites.  So I drafted my own pattern for little 4" kites, using only 3 kite ties rather than 4 which gave me the space I wanted between the kites. 

Each kite block consists of 4 2.5" squares: 1 kite, 1 tail and 2 plain squares. For the kite, I made a paper pieced pattern, drawing a 2" square and marking a mid point on 2 opposite sides. I then drew a line between those 2 marks and a line from each point to the furthest corner. This makes the kite shape and after adding seam allowance, my pattern was made. 

The tail section is a 4 patch consisting of 4 1.5" sections. The little squares are 1" cut squares which finish at 1/2". The paper piecing of the kite and piecing the rest of the block worked well for me. 

It will be fun to lay out my 24 bitty blocks and arrange them into a quilt. I intend to put sashing between the blocks. 

No comments: